Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Far from Normal"

It's been several months since I tweeted about completing yet another video, and most people didn't understand what I was really working on. I meant to share Wayne State College's centennial website for some time now since we launched it in September. Since that time, I have posted all the videos I have made from interviews taking place over the last several years. I've also compiled numerous photo galleries for every decade.

I'm so thankful that I was asked to contribute to this project and that I was able to see it through. Interviews were conducted by one of my professors, my boss and me, and I edited and produced the video. Through these interviews, I developed a closer connection to some of Wayne State's most distinguished, generous alumni and contributors. I also enjoyed recapping and preserving our previous president's memories before he accepted a new position on the east coast. Please take a moment to peruse the time line and photo/video content at http://www.wsc.edu/history/ that will continue to change as more history is made.

The video that gives me the greatest sense of accomplishment is the centennial video, which was shown at the centennial banquet in April and the homecoming banquets. The college began as what was called a "normal school" in 1891 (hence the phrase "Far from Normal," the title of our centennial yearbook) and was purchased by the state of Nebraska in 1910. The video is a little over 10 minutes long, but if you have any interest in Wayne State, history or what I'm doing with my degree, please check it out below. *Cheers!*

*Side note: The quotes throughout the video that serve as transitions are taken from presidents' messages published in past editions of the "Spizzerinktum," the name of the college's yearbook that was published from 1914 to 1971. In 1914 it was described as a "progressive name" that meant "vim, energy, get-there, pep, ginger...It evidently comes from the verb 'to spizz,' which root, combined with the termination 'inktum,' makes it an exceedingly proper noun." Classy, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment