Sunday, April 17, 2011

The wish for a fish

This weekend I made an excellent discovery. I was going through old photos when I found some of Devin and me from our 2009 Yankton fishing trip. I remember it being a long day of little fish activity, so I started taking photos instead.

***

When I was younger, my grandparents would take me fishing all the time, usually at Summit Lake near Tekamah. We'd pack up a little charcoal grill, some hotdogs and marshmallows and scoot on over to our favorite tree right near the water. I had my own pole that they got me for my birthday/Christmas one year, Grandma had her trusty blue pole and Grandpa (thankfully) kept his distance with his two poles armed with stinky catfish bait.

After some time on the quieter days, I would become disinterested with the lack of fish nibbles and run down to the "beach" area for a while or start burning some marshmallows early. Grandpa and Grandma decided to introduce me to a lure, which would keep me casting instead of fighting with the boredom of periodically coming up with nothing but a drowned worm or some random brush.

After a couple hours of no bites at all, I was ready to call it a day, but Grandpa insisted I cast it out just one more time. And wouldn't you know, after fighting nearly 10 minutes and almost being pulled into the water, Grandpa helped me drag a massive carp out of the water. It really was massive because I was only 10 and it weighed about 12 pounds and was half my size. Best fishing day ever.

***

Fast forward 13 years...

I was pretty excited to find out that Devin was interested in going fishing. We got the equipment together and drove up to Yankton one day. We went hours without bites. So, as you can imagine, I got a little restless. The result was me playing with the camera.


The cast


The catch

That was the highlight for most of the day until we moved to the lake.

I hooked one!


Such a cutie :)

Success! The little bugger was mine (until I released him). I declared myself the winner for the day.

Devin decided he wasn't done.

And, go figure, he caught a bigger one. I'll get him next time...

Here's to lakeside sunsets and spending time with the one I love.

*Cheers*

No comments:

Post a Comment