Monday, February 3, 2014

Fuel me up

It's no secret that I'm a fan of coffee. I probably started out earlier than I should have. Grandma and Grandpa brewed a pot every morning for breakfast and every afternoon for 3:00 lunch. My dad and Grandpa would dip their cookies and sandwiches in it, drink it down and then head back out for more chores. When I got curious enough, maybe around age 12, I would wait to see what was left over, pour a cup, heat it up and dip Rice Krispie bars in it. Something about the marshmallow and coffee really worked, and I that's how I began to love coffee. Seriously.

Fast forward to college: it became a necessity. It wasn't so much coffee as it was flavored caffeine. Then I met Devin, and not long into our relationship, he went to Costa Rica for a study abroad opportunity. During that trip, he toured the Britt coffee plantation and brought back a French press and some great Costa Rican coffee for me. It reminded me of how great coffee could be.

Now that I've had good coffee, I appreciate it for what it is. Devin even began to enjoy a few cups in the mornings. He's the reason we added a Breville espresso machine to our countertop a couple years ago and, more recently, quality grinders for our beans--one for coffee, one for espresso.

Who doesn't love a coffee bar?
The espresso machine is a wonderful treat at any time of day. Lattes, cappuccinos, espresso martinis, affogato--you can't lose! Devin even quickly mastered some latte art, which never fails to bring a smile to my face...even in the morning.

Yeah, this is my life!
Now, that's love. Latte love.
Lately, schedules have changed. Devin has taken on strict training for an Ironman, which makes for an extreme lifestyle change in activity, nutrition, portions and when meals are eaten throughout the day. The alarm goes off at 3 a.m., and our time together is now in the morning. That requires more coffee because morning isn't my favorite time of day. Evenings and social lives are currently nonexistent because bedtime is often before 7 p.m. Sorry, friends. This process will be tough, especially when his required workouts push 20 hours a week, but I'm going to do my best to be supportive. You can read more about that here. I'm even attempting to up my activity level a bit, even though I hate working out. I know Devin wishes we could run and ride together, but I don't go for spending hours at the gym or on a bike. We have a treadmill, and I'm trying to work up to more than a lot of walking and just a little bit of running. Since my usual length of activity is 20-30 minutes, I start the coffee maker before I trudge downstairs to work out. Then, when I'm done, I can smell my glorious coffee waiting for me as I crawl back upstairs. No waiting for my happy pick-me-up.

We've had our share of coffee makers, none more memorable than this one. Our current Mr. Coffee has served us well for many years since that one was replaced, but it's always bugged us that the pour spout on the carafe really isn't great. It dribbles coffee all over the counter or the floor if you don't pour it just right. Normally, that's merely a nuisance. Now that we're brewing two pots each morning and doing a lot more pouring, the dribble is magnified. And at 5 a.m., when my brain isn't focused on the technique, it's just plain annoying.

So, we've recently upgraded to a Bunn. It's a phase brew, which is different than any other coffee maker we've had. Instead of a slow drip over the grounds, the water is heated in the reservoir for about six minutes and then spray-released when it's at the right temperature. Plus, a lot of the features are just more convenient for us. What's better, the pour spout is wider and actually flows a controlled stream of coffee into the cup, something every non-morning person can appreciate in the early hours.

Fits right in.
And maybe it will help me be a little more friendly and talkative with my hubs while he's cooking us a hot breakfast...while he still has the time. Maybe. Baby steps. A morning person isn't crafted overnight.

Devin and I don't share every single interest and ability, but we know what we like. We like nice things, good food, and great sips. And that seems to be just enough. Here's to loving and living a life that's good to the last drop. *Cheers*

"Look, I eat really well and I work out, but I also indulge when I want to. I don't starve myself in an extremist way. You're not taking away my coffee or my dairy or my glass of wine because I'd be devastated." --Jennifer Aniston

No comments:

Post a Comment