Monday, June 21, 2010

Inability to focus

"There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!" -DeGriff

Something happened to me this weekend: I forgot something. Sadly, momentary memory failures are pretty typical for me, but I never imagined I would forget my camera…

*GASP!*


I know, I know. It’s unthinkable, but it happened. Devin and I were asked to help marshal at the Psycowpath mountain bike race at Ponca State Park this weekend. The night before, I had the camera sitting next to the chair by the door so I could snap some photos while I made sure traffic didn’t interfere with the race. I took a handful of stuff out to the motorcycle, fully aware that I would have to come back for the camera.

We got everything packed and were on the road. By the time I realized that I forgot to go back for the camera, we were already outside Wayne, and we didn’t have time to go back.

At first it was a letdown because there were so many cyclists at this race and quite a few from our club. But after I was placed on the road, my spot was pretty hoppin’ with traffic, and I kept busy. I got to really pay attention to the race and watch the sheer horror on the riders’ faces as they approached the incredibly steep hill I was pointing them toward. I think the best comment from a marathon rider several laps in was, “It’s still here?”

It was great to experience the bike race for what it was (without a camera in front of my face).

Here's to not having to edit photos at the end of the day... *Cheers*

No comments:

Post a Comment